parkrun practice Initiative
In an exciting and innovative initiative, the RCGP is partnering with parkrun UK to promote the health and wellbeing of staff and patients. Under this initiative, GP practices across the UK are encouraged to develop close links with their local parkrun to become parkrun practices. "Inactivity is a leading cause of premature illness and death in the UK. GPs and their teams play a key role in encouraging and empowering their patients to get more active in the best interests of their health. parkrun provides an accessible, non-intimidating local opportunity for patients and staff to increase their activity levels, and have fun doing it, all in the great outdoors - and for free!" Whether people want to improve their fitness, make new friends, cope with health problems, learn new skills or simply be outside with others, parkrun has a positive impact on health and wellbeing and changes lives.
- Free, weekly 5k events for all ages from 4+, every Saturday morning, in areas of open space
- 2k junior parkruns for 4-14 year olds and their families on Sunday mornings
- Organised by local volunteer teams
- Not races: walk, run, jog, volunteer or spectate
- parkrun is open to all, including those who are inactive or have health conditions or disabilities
- Improve health and wellbeing through physical activity, including volunteering
- Socialise, make friends and be part of a welcoming, supportive community?
Involvement in this initiative will help practices:
- Improve the health and wellbeing of practice staff
- improve the health and wellbeing of patients and carers, reducing the need for lifelong medication
- Raise awareness amongst the parkrun community of services that practices provide
- Contribute to the development of a local community and environment that is centred around wellness generation
- Support the UK-wide movement to scale up social prescribing activities
if you are interested in finding out more please contact the Gainsborough Parkrun office via email: firstname.lastname@example.org